Sunday, December 19, 2010

Words from the Wise....My Mommy :)

My mom opened the salon when she was just 18 years-old. She was an entrepreneur before she even had a chance to attend college. My mom was born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina and when she finally came to Washington, D.C. she was very country and not familiar with the city life. In fact the way she came to own the salon was because the previous owner duped her into thinking if he ever sold, the new owners would fire her, so she bought the salon. Without further education and a southern mind, my mom managed to keep a business alive for more than 40 years. 


I have to say that although I am the first in my family to graduate, I have a lot to learn from those who are smart because of the experiences life has brought them. My mom may not have a college education but she's the smartest woman I know and she's the one I go to when I need advice. 


I have had a lot against me this semester. Most of the issues I had to deal with were school and relationship related. And when I say relationships, I mean friendships, work relationships, family relationships and my relationship with Mr. Parker. My mom always to told me to accept people for who they are. There are times when you meet someone and you cant stand something about them. If you choose to have that person in your life you can't always think about what you don't like about them...you deal with the person you know and you love them for who they are. This rule goes for any relationship. 


At times, people misunderstand who I really am and take that for granted. I have seriously matured this semester. I made "executive decisions" and let go of some people, I've made mistakes and I've even made selfish decisions.  But the good thing is the people I have chosen to be a part of my life are the people who have accepted me in every skin I've been in. Mr. Parker and I have struggled with my move back to DC. There was a point where the move defined our relationship but we have both accepted it for what it is. We are in this together, and when I feel overwhelmed, Mr. Parker is there with his strong support, and when he's feeling upset, I am there to sooth him and be the voice of reason.


Its important to find your "better half" The one who is your opposite at times of need. That person that when you're not feeling as confident, is your biggest advocate. The person who tells you the truth no matter what and the person who is not trying to please you and get your attention. Mr. Parker is my biggest fan, and with him and my mom, I will be able to assume the BOSS position as soon as possible.          

My mommy at the shop

Me and Mr. Parker
  

No comments:

Post a Comment